Today's date and time

Monday, January 12, 2009

REFLECTIONS

Reflection On My Lesson Plan A

This lesson plan has designated a lot of exercises for each sub concept. I found that it really helps a lot in enhancing the students understanding. Every students were took part in the lesson activities. They found it very interesting because there were a lot of diagrams’ and situations given pertaining to their daily life. The lesson was to students centered teaching.

The diagram in the power point was taken from the teaching courseware. All the diagrams do not move. I think it would be better if I was exposed to the technique of how to taking moving animation from the courseware and put it in the power point. It can help to attract students’ attention.

However, prepared power point is more time saving. The teacher can cover a lot of the syllabus while increasing students’ understanding.



Reflection On My Teaching Experience

When conducting a biology lesson for intermediate classes, I will try to explain each theory in detail to my students. My goal is that they will not miss any important parts of the theory. This because students will usually be asked to explain in details each process that happens in the examinations. This includes the processes of protein formation and the steps of a reaction from a certain stimulus. However, at the end of the lesson, I found that only 50% of the students were able to follow the lesson. 40% had their minds elsewhere and the other 10% just did not want to pay attention.

There were no discipline problems in the class so I thought of ways to attract the students’ attention to the lesson. In the next class, I used a lot more stimulation in the courseware so that they were able to get an overall view of my teaching. The use of stimulation in the courseware is that it slowed down the yearly lesson plan for biology. In the end, I choose stimulation and that was able to give a clear, straight forward explanation to the theory that I wanted to present to the students. Other than that, more activities were conducted. This includes examples from everyday life situations for the students to analyze and differentiate. This move forward more students – centre lesson planning The technique is useful as it can attract the students’ attention to biology subject when discussing about life and their everyday surroundings. Activities that encourage creative and critical thinking is very useful in preventing students from feeling bored. Some examples of activities are when the students have to find the answers to certain scenario’s themselves and role play. I understand that teaching has to involve each student so that it will improve their understanding and mastering of biology.

For the weaker classes, find that the classes are usually the one’s with students who the most disciplinary problems the teaching technique has to be adjusted. At first, I taught the students by stressing on all the parts found in the syllabus. I found that the students could not get what I was trying to say.

I sought guidance from other teachers who were teaching the same class. I found that stressing on basic concept from each subtopic activities and exercises would make them understand more easily. The activities and exercises had to be simplified so that they would be able to do them. When they were able to give the right answer, they would show more interest in the teaching and learning process.

When teaching problematic students, I found that the teacher’s style in class is very important especially on the first day. The teacher must stand tough and not be influenced by the students and not let them respect me and follow instructions. Teaching weak students and students with problems is a very challenging task. The teaching technique has to be adjusted as each student is different and has a different level of understanding.

My Convocation